Sofia joined Rodriguez Lee LLP as a Partner in 2020 after working with a full service law firm in Mississauga for 11 years, where she was the Senior Family Law Associate. Sofia has devoted her practice to Family Law exclusively since being called to the Ontario Bar in 2009.
A passionate advocate, Sofia has appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice and the Superior Court of Justice on a broad range of matters including adoption, access or parenting-time scheduling, custody or parent decision-making, child support, spousal support, property division and the sale of property, restraining orders, divorce and varying, staying or enforcing court orders. She has experience in conducting uncontested and contested trials as well as summary judgment hearings.
Sofia looks for creative and fair solutions to achieve the best results for her clients, whether inside or outside the courtroom. She is cost-conscious and efficient in her negotiations of marriage/cohabitation contracts, parenting agreements and separation agreements. In order to provide her clients with a less adversarial approach to achieving settlement, Sofia is also fully trained in the Collaborative Law process and can provide representation at both Mediations and Arbitrations.
Sofia also has particular experience with inter-jurisdictional applications and service issues under the Hague Convention.
In the past, her passion for social justice has led her to work with the Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization, the Ontario Human Rights Commission, the Civil Litigation Branch of the Department of Justice and Canada Customs and Border Services.
- Collaborative Family Law
- Parenting issues, including parenting time and decision-making
- Child support and spousal support, including imputation of income
- Support enforcement issues
- Property division and valuation issues
- Constructive and Resulting trust claims
- Domestic contracts (cohabitation, marriage and separation)
- Inter-jurisdictional Applications
- Restraining Orders
- Independent legal advice
- Called to the Bar of Ontario in 2009
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree from University of Ottawa
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Honours from York University
- Law Society of Ontario